Making Ratatouille with Lentils
I love eating eggplant. It’s gotten me in trouble before. But that’s a whole other story. Whenever I go to the grocery store I check to see if any of the eggplant look edible. Lately it’s been very sad. The eggplant looks like it was in a boxing ring and lost. Bruised and battered eggplant is not edible. Last week I was very surprised to see happy looking eggplant at the store. Of course I had to buy it. This meant I needed to come up with a recipe.
Earlier in the week I was making a recipe that required brown lentils. Unfortunately all I had were red lentils. So I used them instead. Now I had lots of leftover red lentils. (You might see where this is going…)
I’ll warn you now this recipe makes a lot. Lucky for me I was going to a vegan potluck so I took most of it with me. The bowl was empty by the time I got through the long line to get food. Glad I saved some for myself at home!
I found a great broth mix at My Plant Based Family.
- 2 Eggplant, peeled and chopped in 1/2″ cubes
- 2 Zucchini , chopped in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 12 oz Mushrooms
- 2-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 cup cooked Lentils (red are best)
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp broth mix
- Bay leaves
- Salt, pepper, basil, oregano (or other spices) to taste
- Use 1 tsp broth mix to make 1/2 cup of broth.
- Cook lentils according to package.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Clean and chop eggplant and zucchini. Leave mushrooms whole.
- Chop onion and put aside. (It doesn’t go in the oven.)
- In a large bowl mix eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms with broth.
- Place on cookie sheets. (You can use parchment paper to keep them from sticking.)
- Sprinkle spices on eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms.
- Bake veggies 20 to 30 minutes. Watch carefully so they don’t overcook. The mushrooms will probably be done first.
- Chop mushrooms after they cool a bit.
- You can do the next part on the stove or in your Instant Pot. I used my Instant Pot.
- Saute onions until translucent, then add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add roasted veggies, lentils and red wine vinegar to the pot. Mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water if using Instant Pot.
- On top of the vegetables, place the tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaves. Do not mix.
- Set Instant Pot to 3 minutes using Manual with natural pressure release.